Tuesday 25 October 2016

Back in the water at last and flying home

After an increasingly tortuous saga trying to import my 'special' anti-fouling from Germany, I gave up and got a refund. The suppliers estimated 4 days to get it to me. After two weeks it had still not arrived and I was informed that it was held up at Customs for the second time. This time they were demanding reference numbers and other info that the supplier new nothing about and neither did I!

Fortunately Chris had a half a can of basic anti-fouling that he had used to patch his anti-fouling (the same type as mine) and so I bought that from him and painted it on.

As you can see AS now has a touch of measles on her bottom, but not many people will notice!

I used the time whilst waiting to work through my list of other jobs. The stand out ones being: the fitting of a stand pipe around the rudder shaft in case of leaks through the rudder bearing (i might have mentioned that already); painting the decks; fitting the extra internal bilge pump (with a lot of help from Chris); completing the re-fitting the windows (also delayed waiting for a delivery of butyl tape and also with a lot of help from Chris; finishing off the installation of the electric bilge pump that Tony and I started last year; repairing the tiller (that was Chris); repairing the cockpit floor/come table and a host of other bits and pieces.

Above show the revised pipe layout for the new bilge pump following Chris' timely intervention. The white pipe is from the new pump, the clear from the existing one and both rise well above the water line to ensure water cannot get syphoned in when the boat heals over.

Re-launch day was on Saturday and it was a big relief to get back in the water, not least because it was extremely expensive being out in the yard. I could have spent a lot less time there if I hadn't waited around for the anti-fouling that never arrived!

The washing consists of two pairs of foul weather gear that had not been done since last year!

Above, Chris waits to tuck in to a celebration lunch on the newly repaired cockpit table. As you can see the repainting was not quite finished at that point but it is now.

Once back in the water I undertook a very basic engine service and commenced a major re-stowage programme to re-distribute the weight around the boat. She had been significantly down by the stern evidenced by the severe weed growth above the water-line prior to hauling her out. I move 40 litres of water in two jerry cans from the quarter berth to under the forward bunks, moved the No 2 anchor from the stern to the bow locker and moved the dinghy from a cockpit locker to stowage on deck (although currently it s now in the cabin). I will also stow the 2nd genoa on deck rather than in the stern locker).

Despite working almost non-stop for four weeks I still have a long list of snagging jobs to do on my return before we can head off, but at least all the major work is now complete. I probably need another couple of days to finish off the jobs and of course will need to provision for the passage to Cape Verde and the Caribbean. Our aimed for departure date (subject to the weather) of 15th November is just about achievable therefore.

It looks like Chris and I will sail in company to CV. I've got lots of admin to complete before then too such as sorting out insurance and visas and compiling a provisioning list.

Right now I'm waiting for my flight home from Gran Canaria. Ursula had her baby yesterday and so I'm looking forward to meeting the new arrival tomorrow.

Next post is likely to be mid November prior to departure for CV.

I hope all my sailing friends old and new are enjoying fair winds and good times and all my land based friends are enjoying similar good fortune.

The below are the last of Tony's ducks waiting to be released!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add comments or ask questions